first Methodist ministers in Chillicothe were Dr. Edward Tiffin,
later the first governor of Ohio, and Everard Harr who came into
the area in 1798. Dr. Tiffin organized a class at Davenport’s
on Deer Creek. Rev. Henry Smith preached his first sermon at Davenport’s
on October 15, 1799. And then on July 7, 1800, under the trees,
he organized the church with eighteen members. Bishop Frances
Asbury, Rev. Peter Cartwright, Bishop William McKendree, and Thomas
Worthington were all instrumental in the beginnings of the church.
As the membership grew in Walnut Street Church, three other churches
were formed. In 1821, the Colored Methodists who belonged to the
church formed a separate congregation, now known as Quinn Chapel.
In 1843, after the great Miley revival the membership was divided
geographically to cover the East and the West areas of Chillicothe.
The Eastern Charge was incorporated in 1851 and renamed Trinity
in 1891. Also in 1844 the German Methodist Church was created
as well. The present building at Walnut and Main Streets was dedicated
in 1905 and is the fourth building of the congregation. Its distinctive
design with its stone exterior and beautiful stain glass windows
are still a landmark for downtown Chillicothe.
complete 170-page history was published in April, 2001 and is
available for purchasing in the church office.}